Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Back

I'm back and laptop-less (my cd/dvd drive went down so macbook is in the lab)

and way, read this about my trip to poland (written by me on roland.)

"Poland was amazing.
The entire thing was a mass of emotions and stress but with all of it it was still the best thing a person can do.I've made new friends, gotten some new perspective on things(people included, let's not forget about my teachers) and have had some real soul touching moments.

It was 8 days that included seeing the remains of the most horrible acts committed by man kind in the 2nd world war to people only because of their religion and a belief of one mad man with the power to persuade a whole nation, I've listened to stories of survivors and viewed films about their years in the camps, I've talked to Stefan (who was our Edout, he's a holocaust survivor that comes on these trips and talks to the kids. He's amazing, like a grandpa and a happy person who answered all and any question we had with a smile.) I've seen what is left of Auchvitz 2 and the museum in Auchvitz 1, I've walked thru the ceramtory in Majdanek, layed a flower on the stones of the destroyed communities in Treblinka and walked along the tracks that led a million to their graves, I've seen the 7 tons of humans ashes in Majdanek, I've seen the 80,000 pairs of shoes all crammed into cages, I've seen the hairs of thousands of women and girls all shaven off to be used to produce cloths and carpets, I've seen the pots, the glasses, the Taliot, the silver ware and the suitcases one of which bears the first name of my mother in a beautiful handwriting of a women who is probably dead at the hands of the Nazis.
I've stood on the ground on a forest where so many where murdered and never given a proper burial. I've lit many candles in these peoples honor, because if they couldn't have it when the died at least they should have it while they are dead. I've seen all that is left of the Warsaw getto, I've imagined these people, my people in these horrible places there only for something that they had no control over, their race and religion.

I've seen the lighter side of things as well, met polish teens, seen polish land marks, heard of the brave actions of people who saved jews in those times at the sdanger of death of them and thier families.
I've laughed with friends, I've cried with them as well. I've been angry and happy and have expierenced so much in so little time it is still over whelming.

If you can ever make this trip, jewish or not, related to a holocaust survivor or not, you should do it.

I've learned about the horrors mankind can create and of the wonders that man can survive. I've learned that sometimes a person can be helpless to take action but that it is understandable.

I have been given a new perspective on many things, I do believe that I have matured a great deal in these last 8 days and perhaps that it the true goal of this trip.

(I know this is long but there si som much to say that it is difficult to put it all to words, there is so much going through my head so many image flashing in my mind.)"

that's it for now,I'll post my H&M buys and ebay finds that came it the mail soon.. and maybe a real outfit as well!

D

2 comments:

Emma said...

Incredible post.

Isabel said...

That is so amazing. I've always wanted to do that. My father is Jewish, so I feel really close to the horrors of the Holocaust, even if I am not particularly religious.