Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Worst Case Scenerio

I have this thing where I run worst case scenerios in my mind.
Bus crashing, getting lost, losing something.. So it's not suprise that I have a back up plan to a traveler's (fashionable ones that is) worst nightmare. What nightmare? Losing ones things of course! Well actually it's the flight companies fault but, you get it right?
I travel in my jeans (preferably blue ones, or grey- they work with everything) white tank or shirt, a cardigan of some sort, black sweatshirt, a pashmina (actually I board the plane with two one coloured and one black.) 2 bags ( one for the laptop and books etc.) and a handbag- which is huge and also has a purse inside it (by purse I mean my mum's vintage 80's gucci bag with retractable strap.) with a pair of sneakers on (and extra socks.) and a pair of cheap rubber flip flops in my bag. Yes, I am paranoid. Yes I do lug around far too much stuff- BUT! should I ever be without my shipped things, I should survive, providng there is an american apparel store near by.
Usually they get you you're stuff back in a couple of days and until then, you get along.
So, what would I buy? Whenever I buy anything I think "Will it work with what I've got in my closet?" with most things AA this isn't a question, and since I'm familiar with AA sizes this is good. No suprises!
As my mother says, you're abroad, no one knows you no chance of anyone knowing you're wearing the same clothes all the time.
The following are what I would pick up (along with some panties)

The T dress is black.
Wearable colour in every condition, goes with everything else and not currently residing in my closet. It can (with some spiffing up) be worn to a semi-nice dinner if you can buy nice shoes/sandals. It can also function as a shirt instead of a dress.


Cotton Spandex Legging in T-Green
You just can't run around in a pair of jeans forever. The colour is great, and it can be paired with any of the items I've picked, and suits my mid summer tan or mid winter pale.
Also these are just damn comfortable, and if you're like me and consider jogging/using the gym at your hotel (and I do. all that vacation eating makes me feel bad about not burning calories.) these suit the job perfectly.


Slim fit Poplin Short in Lead
If it's summer these are great, a neutral colour to go with everything. No uber short like some of AA's shorts but cute nonetheless. Not much more to say. Also good for gym time.


Hoodie in Forest
Well, there's a black one but everyone needs a dash of colour- I'm not that keen on doing black on black on more black looks. If it's too warm for hoodies, go for a cardigan they're lighter.

Reversible Poplin Vest in Lead/Black
It's reversible! Do I really need to say more?
I've been loving vests lately, they take any boring old t-shirt and oomph it up. In the Black/Lead combo you can wear it with the shirt (lead side up) or with anything white (black side up. I find the lead a bit pale for wearing over white, but it can be done as shown by AA. I'm actually getting this, not waiting for it to come to AA ordering it to mum's hotel when she's in California in 2 weeks time.)

U-neck Rib Tank in Silver
Good for a slight change from the white beater I travel in. Also the U neck is plain sexy.

The (famous) V neck T-Shirt in which ever colour you want (for me it's the colours shown above)
I love how this fits. I just love this shirt, I can live in it.Wait I already do.
So yes, if (knock on wood) my stuff gets lost while I travel this is what I'd do. Hopefully I won't need to.

To all those who wondered, I'm going to Japan on the 28 of July for ten days (6 in Kyoto and 4 in Tokyo) with my mother for some great fun and even better sushi. I will come back with pictures, I might be nice and post some on the go since I've become the desegnated laptop lugger (mum doesn't want hers with her because it's her workpalce's and insurence and stuff) I still have to wrap my mind around packing for 10 days in one small carry on trolly.
Can't wait for mum to go to Cali (so ordering stuff from AA to her. I won't do it to Israel because it's silly since there's an AA store near by.) maybe some shorts from JCrew? I love their shorts.
You're all wanting a Hipster post yes? Expect it soon, I need to go over cobrasnake pics.
Off to bed now.

5 comments:

a said...

have fun! i love all your picks
p.s. what camera did you end up buying?

Meg said...

You're an AA saleswoman. They should be cutting you in on a percentage considering how much you advertise here =P

Re: I'm afraid I have no more Modernaire until it is passed onto me via my friend Andrew. However, if you are having withdrawal symptoms, go to the post I left it on and the last comment was left by Barbs of Modernaire who left their web address where I'm sure you can hear more. I'll send it to you as soon as I have more though.
You want some Yelle instead?

Meg said...

Getting drafted? You're going to be in the military? But, they have a uniform!!!

I will harass him on a daily basis!

Emma said...

I too run worst-case scenarios in my mind, I should be the person who writes those Worst Case Scenario; Camping, Airplane Travel etc. books. I'm built for it. I have a sort of moral grudge against AmApp but I visited one in Seattle and found it vaguely awesome.

Meg said...

That shit's insane. I can't believe you can still be drafted these days.