Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Camera Ready!

So, it's camera time!
I'm a photography fiend, and while my own DSLR camera is great both in looks and preformance it can be a bit.... bulky and indiscreet. So I've been given a massive amount of money for my trip to Japan and am considering using some of it to buy an "Ultra Compact" P&S (Point and Shoot) camera. Why? These small cameras fit in the palm of your hand, in you jean pocket or in you clutch purse for a night out. You can take pictures of everything (for me it's graffiti, random people on the streets, my food at restaurants or anything that I find inspiring) These are light- but preform well. Now days they are also extremely stylish as well.
Here are my final picks, some are within budget others... less.

Sony Cybershot DSC-T10
This is a 7.2 Mega Pixel camera that is literally the size of your palm. It has a carl ziess lens, stabilaizing for clearer pictures when shooting in a tight spot, real imaging processor so you can edit on the go, internal memory and a clear (and big) screen. It's at about 1,800-2,000 NIS. Amazon lists it at a whopping 500 USD but it can be found for cheaper on the net. It also comes in 4 colours! So choose your stylish favourite from a light pink, silver (as shown), white or black- take your pick.


Fujifilm Finepix Z5fd
This cute 6.3 mega pixel camera is just that- cute. It's small and slim, with a x3 optical zoom. It comes in three colours: Wine Red (shown here), Brushed Silver and Chocolate Brown. It has a Face Detection feature to bring out faces in the crowd when you take your picture, an internal memory and a light up on operation logo of the sliding door. Amazon lists it at 178 USD- I haven't seen it on Israeli sites but if I look I guess I'll find it.



Samsung NV10
This is from the latest samsung cameras released. I saw this at the mall and did a double take. It's mega slim, and small with a big screen and a semi classic camera like design. With 10 Mega Pixels it's image quality is super. It's got a x3 optical zoom with shake reduction and a touch screen LCD. Amazon lists it at 210 USD and I've yet to check Israeli sights but I'm sure I can find it for less.



Casio Exilim EX-Z1050
With 10.1 Mega Pixel. With 3x Optical Zoom with Anti Shake for clearer shots.
Auto Tracking AF function keeps moving subjects in focus, maximum seven-shot-per-second high-speed continuous shooting
Stores images on SD memory cards with internal memory.
Comes in black, purple, pink, and I think silver. Listed at 235 usd on amazon but can be found for less (older versions have less mega pixels but same design but cost less by a lot.)



Leica DLux 3
This is my dream camera, actually any Leica camera is my dream. 10 Mega Pixel with 4x wide angle optical image stabilized zoom .It looks like the classic Leica with minor adjustments for digital life, big screen and a great lens. It comes in a silver version as well but I find that the silver takes away from the beauty of this camera- in black it looks a bit like a film camera and is discreet- no one will give you funny looks with this, tops you'll look like a photography student. It costs a pretty penny, 600 USD (which I don't have but really wish I did have.) I have yet to see it on any Israeli websites but gosh, if I had the money I'd but this over anything.



That was it, I think I'll save up some- so I can still have spending money for Japan and maybe buy the Sony or the Samsung in the Dutyfree in the airport.

7 comments:

a said...

that samsung one looks sexy. I have a vendetta against P&S cameras, mainly because every time somebody takes a picture of me with one I end up looking like a hairless monkey. Or maybe that's just me. But either way I have to get one for my photography class and I am just so glad I won't have to shoot myself and I can make everybody else feel my pain instead... hehehe...
also- JAPAN, wow, where are you going there? I've always wanted to go to tokyo, I think it's the only place I want to travel to right now. If only I had thought to save my money instead of blowing it all on shoes

Meg said...

If it's Tokyo Dar, I expect lots of pictures as it is my dream destination.
I've uploaded Fujiya to ysi and the link is up, and I'm in the process of doing the others but it's taking fucking ages so check back in tomorrow.

Bojana said...

I really like the pink one, fujifilm. It looks soooo cute and feminine!

Bojana said...

ps: have fun in Japan!! Take lots of pictures!!

Meg said...

Nice. I'm not a Smiths fan I'm afraid, I can only take so much Morrisey, but it's okay. Enjoy!

Meg said...

Aw babe, you're too good to me. Merci beaucoup.

Nina Perlman said...

Daria, you've been tagged.
Check my last post.